This page is all about my hair regimen. I talk about the hair products, the steps, how often I care for the hair and how I balance the whole regimen.
Wash Routine (See a video of my hair routine here)
I usually wash my hair once a week; I may wash twice if I use gels or some products to test out. This regimen may vary from week to week depending on what I have in store. However, the basic steps are what I’ve listed below.
- Pre-poo with oil for at least 1 hour with deep conditioning cap . If I want to go to the salon, I simply apply the oil early enough to allow it to work. My prepoo treatments vary each week with different oil combinations. I may use virgin coconut oil or a mix of oils like baobab and neem oils.
- Shampoo with Sulfate free shampoo once a week; use sulfate based shampoo once every 2 or 3 weeks. There are times I use a cleansing conditioner instead of a sulfate free shampoo. I focus on cleaning the hair whilst maintaining moisture.
- Use a moisturizing deep conditioner weekly. I use a protein deep conditioner when I undo braids, and once every 2 or 3 weeks and follow with moisturizing deep conditioner. I prefer light protein treatments as my texlaxed/relaxed hair doesn’t love protein. I also switch to protein moisturizers or leave ins when I need to add some protein.
- Apply moisturizing leave -in. I prefer creamy leave ins to liquid ones.
- Seal with sheabutter or oil mix. I moisturize and seal at least twice a week though I do daily if the harmattan is severe.
1. Prepoo with virgin coconut oil or oil mix for at least 1 hour
2. Do a Coffee or tea rinse. I use this rinse also on wash days or if I’m not able to do it during the week.
3. Co-wash with conditioner and deep condition
5. Seal with oils or butter
1. Apply Moisturizer. I prefer thick and creamy moisturizers as they don’t leave the hair feeling wet.
3. Seal with oil
4. Cover with satin cap
****Last Updated: 24th March, 2017